Report: Elgin City 4-1 Clyde

thumbnail of Elgin City FC LogoReport by George Hay

City lost the toss of the coin and were made to kick into a fairly strong wind blowing straight up and down the pitch. City made only one personnel change from last week with David Brownlie having to serve a one match ban for being sent off the week before at Forfar. He was replaced by Chris Dodd who took up his usual wide right midfield role.

There were a few positional changes with the team taking on a more familiar look with Archie MacPhee going to left back, Darryl McHardy switched to his more accustomed central defensive role alongside Mark Nicolson.

Early play was ragged with many passes going astray as both sides tried to impose themselves in the game. Shane had City’s first attempt at goal, but a weak finish allowed the Clyde keeper to save easily. Minutes later and a great cross in from Matty Cooper was right on Shane’s head, but he opted to try and guide a header in when maybe he should have opted for power.

City came close when they were awarded a free kick just outside the box. Twiggy hit an absolute beauty, but was denied by an even greater save from the Clyde keeper. Chris McLeish was then sent clear, but he could not get the ball on to his right foot and the chance was lost.

But City broke the deadlock in 22 minutes. A great pass from Thomas Reilly found Twiggy on the other side of the penalty area. Twiggy did not hesitate and rifled a stunning shot low and hard across the goalkeeper before nestling in the corner of the net. Then Shane came close twice in the space of 4 minutes. His first effort just cleared the bar and his second was a header which passed the wrong side of the post. The referee then blew his whistle to indicate half-time. City although 1 goal up could have been out of sight at this point.

City started the second half as if they meant business. Two minutes into the half a great football and passing movement opened up the Clyde defence and Marc McKenzie was forced to bring down Archie McPhee in the penalty box. Shane took the kick and gave the Clyde keeper no chance from the penalty spot.

Ten mins later and City got a vital third goal. Brian Cameron got himself into the Clyde penalty box and fired a low cross across the face of goal. I thought that it was Daniel Moore’s ball but he was beaten to it by Ross Perry. Unfortunately he was facing the wrong way and all he could do was to hammer the ball into his own net.

A setback for City after an hour when Shane pulled up injured after having gone past a Clyde defender. After some treatment from the City physio, he tried to run it off, but to no avail, and he eventually had to go off to be replaced by Gunny. With 20 mins to go Scott Ferguson got a header on target, but Cammy in the City goal saved well. At this point Jamie Reid came on for Chris Dodd. City gave away a cheap goal with 15 mins left. The ball was punted high into the City penalty box. Cammy started to come for it, but when the first header was missed seemed to change his mind. But before he could regain his ground the ball had been headed over him and into an empty net.

But City were having none of it and put another nail in the Clyde coffin 5 minutes later. Archie MacPhee put Gunny in the clear with a cracking pass. He rounded another defender before drawing the keeper out and rounding him also. He then only had to stroke the ball into an empty net. Welcome back Gunny – that was more like the Craig Gunn we haven’t seen at all this season. And so the game finished with City winning it by 4 goals to 1.

Posted in headline, News.

Leave a Reply