Report: Elgin City 3-2 Annan Athletic

thumbnail of Elgin City FC LogoReport by George Hay

The first thing that must be said is a note of thanks and congratulations to the City supporters and helpers who toiled on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning to get the ground playable for this very important league match against Annan Athletic.

City started with the same team as started against Montrose. City did not really start well as they were harassed and hustled by an Annan side who seemed determined to keep up their good record against City this season. They went very close twice in as many minutes when attempts by Weatherson and Wright went just the wrong side of the posts and narrowly past.

But in 17 minutes the City front line got into gear and went ahead with a well worked move. The final shot rebounded high into the air, and the first player to react was Brian Cameron who basically leapt like a salmon to beat the Annan goalkeeper to the high ball and nodded it into the net to put the City one up.

This goal was very much against the run of play, but how many times has that happened to us this season already. But City were not content with their one goal lead and ten minutes later the combination of Shane and Brian did it again.

Brian took possession and worked his way along the bye line before cutting it back to Shane. A smart 12 yard finish gave the Annan goalkeeper no chance.

Annan were forced into a substitution after 32 minutes when Steven Swinglehurst was forced to leave the field with an injury, his place being taken by Raffi Krissian.

City however went further ahead 5 minutes before half time when Shane played in Chris McLeish. Chris didn’t need a second invitation and a quick look-up before his parting shot was on its way past Currie in the Annan goal. This was a quality goal scored by a quality striker. So a 3 goal lead at half time had the City supporters thinking we were on easy street.

However Annan seemed to have different ideas and were penning City deep in their own territory for long spells. Annan made a double substitution after an hour with Osadolor replacing David McKenna and Darren Ramsay replacing Max Wright.

The changes didn’t do much to affect the play, but Annan continued to hustle City into basic errors and the City supporters were becoming as frustrated as the players were with no signs of the football they played in the first half re-appearing in the second half.

Our front two of Shane and Chris McLeish and midfielder Brian Cameron had otherideas though and had it not been for the courage and goalkeeping skills of Currie in the Annan goal who defied and denied them all, City would have been out of sight.

But Annan were not finished and reduced the leeway with 20 mins left to play. The veteran Weatherson who up to this point hadn’t troubled the City defence, took advantage of hesitation in that defence to poke home a short range shot.

Worse was to follow and again hesitation in the City defence was a major factor in conceding the goal. Weatherson had the initial shot and when the ball was cleared nobody in the defence took charge to clear the danger. The ball was picked up by Osadolor and he calmly passed the ball into the net.

This was the trigger for the players and supporters to press the panic button. City introduced Jamie Reid and Keiran Stewart for Daniel Moore and Chris Dodd.

And so the game finished up with a 3-2 score line in City’s favour and another three points.

Posted in headline, News.

Leave a Reply