Report: Arbroath 3-2 Elgin City


Report by George Hay

Not surprisingly we started with the same team as last week. Play was fairly even for the first five minutes, but then City started to get a grip on the midfield and we went looking for goals.

Chris Dodd was first to have a go but his effort was weak and just wide of the Arbroath goal. Daniel was next to have a go but his low grounder didn’t really trouble the Arbroath keeper.

City opened the scoring in the 18th minute. Shane played Brian with a cute pass inside an Arbroath defender. Brian outstripped the defender and slipped it into the net from an acute angle.

Three minutes latere and the same pair almost made it 2-0, but Shane’s final shot hit the post, came back out, hit the keeper and was grabbed by a very relieved keeper. Arbroath were struggling to come to terms with City’s one touch football, but they were digging in and not giving up. They forced three quick corners which didn’t come to anything.So at half time it was 1-0 to the City.

When play restarted my hands were so cold I couldn’t feel the pen in my hand and couldn’t write, so the second half is done purely from memory.

Ten minutes into the second half and City went two up. Following a spell of Arbroath pressure the ball was cleared to Shane. He took off down the pitch with Chris McLeish. At just the right moment Shane passed to Chris who took it to the edge of the Arbroath penalty box and just as he was about to be tackled, he fired in a fierce grounder beating the Arbroath keeper at his right hand post.

The two goal lead only lasted three minutes when, following the City defence’s failure to clear a cross the ball ran kindly for Brian Prunty who buried it behind Cammy McKay. Two minutes later and the scores were level. Archie MacPhee had  time to clear his lines, but elected to play his way out of trouble. Only thing was, he didn’t. He was dispossessed and the ball was played into our penalty box. Where Steven Doris was waiting to head into our net.

With 20 mins to go Arbroath were reduced to 10 men when Jass Sukar received his second yellow card and had to go. But 4 mins later the sides were evened up again when Thomas Reilly was sent off receiving his second yellow card.

In the space of about 10 minutes City were awarded I think three free kicks just outside the Arbroath penalty box, but we didn’t hit the target once and the Arbroath defence must have been relieved with that outcome.

And City were made to pay for these when the referee decided that Keiran Stewart had fouled Hamilton in the penalty box. It looked very soft to me, but that didn’t matter to Doris who took the kick and buried it with ease.

Posted in headline, News.

Leave a Reply