Report: Elgin City 4-1 Montrose

download-6Report by George Hay

City made one enforced change from last week with Marc Waters going back to his parent club Queens Park, and his replacement being Cammy McKay began his second loan spell from ICT in goal.

City lost the spin of the coin and were asked to kick to wards the Leisure Centre end in the first half. City appeared to be well up for the game with a series of passing movements which were mesmerising the opposition.

Montrose however got a bit of a shock after 6 minutes. Archie MacPhee seemed to have knocked the ball too far ahead of himself, but kept going after the ball. He was met with a challenge from Montrose’s Terry Masson which the referee decided was a high dangerous tackle and issued Masson with a straight red card.

Most of the people I spoke with at the time of the incident and at half time thought that a yellow card might have been punishment enough. From this point on the writing was on the wall for Montrose as they withdrew most of their team with the exception of Templeman to defend and try to deny the City strikers.

And the City strikers were trying their hardest not to disappoint the home support by laying siege to the Montrose goal. But in spite of all their efforts, a combination of some stout defending and slack finishing meant the score remained blank at half time.

City continued to press Montrose backwards and it seemed like it was only a matter of time before something would give way and indeed 10 minutes into the half that was what happened. Following a free kick the ball broke to Archie MacPhee who poked it home from close range.

Eight minutes later and City were two up and cruising. This time it was created from back to front with two passes. Darryl McHardy sent Daniel Moore scampering off down the left wing with a great pass. In turn Daniel sent across a great ball to Chris McLeish who side-footed it home from close range. Craig Gunn came on just after this replacing Chris McLeish.

And just two minutes later City scored a third when Shane Sutherland took a pass from Thomas Reilly and fired home a great shot beating the Montrose keeper all ends up. Gunny was next to try his luck with a snap shot from just outside the box, but Fleming in the Montrose goal was equal to the attempt. Jamie Reid then came on for Chris Dodd.

Montrose caused a bit of a surprise when they got a goal back after 78 minutes. They earned a corner which was taken by Graeme Webster. The City defence seemed to be playing a game of “statues” when the man with the longest name in Scottish football Bolochoweckj hit it low past Cammy McKay in the City goal.

This seemed to give some encouragement to Montrose who had a couple of attempts on goal. The second of the two was well struck by McWalter and Cammy McKay did well to hold on to the ball as it bounced awkwardly in front of him. Gunny then had a good effort saved by Fleming and followed that up with a header saved again by the keeper.

But the keeper could do nothing to prevent City’s 4th goal which came with two minutes to go. Darryl McHardy had a big hand in this one. He won the ball in the Montrose box. Baffled a couple of defenders with some deft footwork and slipped it into the 6 yard area where Brian Cameron was waiting to slide it over the line.

Posted in headline, News.

Leave a Reply