Report: Montrose 0-5 Elgin

thumbnail of Elgin City FC Logo

Report by George Hay

Links Park in Montrose is a ground where City hadn’t won for a season and a half, so there was a certain amount of worry and concern about this game. Also given that Montrose had humbled the mighty Forfar Athletic the week before.

City started with the same eleven as started at Edinburgh City the previous week. City lost the toss, but Montrose inexplicably opted to kick into the strong wind which was blowing straight up and down the pitch.

It didn’t take City long to open the scoring. After 4 minutes Montrose conceded a corner down City’s right. Archie MacPhee sent in an in swinger and Darryl McHardy was on the end of it to power a header past Fleming in the Montrose goal.

Brian Cameron was next to have a go but the keeper was well positioned and saved his effort. City had a penalty claim turned down by the referee, when Chris McLeish went to ground after a tackle. But City weren’t to be denied and in the next minute they won a corner on the left side. This time the kick was taken by Chris Dodd and his well flighted cross was expertly headed in by that man again – Darryl McHardy.

So 13 minutes in and we were 2 goals to the good. Shane was next to have a shot from range, but his effort was narrowly wide. City were playing some great flowing football which was delighting the City fans who had travelled to the game.

Thomas Reilly was next to have a go and Fleming in the City goal conceded another corner. Archie’s corner kick broke to Brian Cameron who didn’t hesitate and drilled a low shot past Fleming for Number 3.

Gary Fraser, the Montrose centre forward, then got himself into a argument with the referee who showed him a yellow card. Minutes later he felled Thomas Reilly in front of the referee who waved a second yellow and a red card which of course meant his work was finished for the day. Thomas brought the first half to an end with another attempt on goal which missed narrowly to the right. So at half time City were leading 3-0, but still had 45 mins to battle into that strong wind.

At the start of the second half the City continued to pass the ball about the park and keeping possession. And in fact they went and increased their lead when, following a good City passing movement, Shane was sent in by Brian Cameron and nut-megged the keeper for number 4.

Worse was to follow for the home team when Calum MacDonald took down Chris McLeish who was sent tumbling in the process. The foul was outside the box, but it was a last man challenge so MacDonald had to go.Montrose now down to 9 men.

City had brought on Keiran Stewart, Craig Gunn and Robbie Bruce for Thomas Reilly, Chris McLeish and Chris Dodd.

It was very much a damage limitation job for Montrose at this stage. But they couldn’t prevent City from going nap in the 83rd minute. After a good move a goal looked inevitable for Gunny, but somehow or another he couldn’t get the ball out of his feet and the ball ran wide of goal. But he had the presence of mind to realise the ball was not going to go out. He caught it and whipped it back into the near post where Brian Cameron was, and he blasted an unsavable shot high into the Montrose net. There ended the scoring.

Posted in headline, News.

Leave a Reply