Report: Elgin City 3-0 Edinburgh City

thumbnail of Elgin City FC LogoReport by George Hay

City welcomed new boys Edinburgh City to Borough Briggs for their first away league fixture of the season.

I’ll refer to them in this report as the “other City”. City were on the same lines as last week’s game at Cowdenbeath with the exception of goalkeeper where Cameron Mackay replaced Stewart Black.
City were dominating the early possession although not creating any clear cut chances.

The other City captain Ian McFarland had the first shot for the visitors, but it was gathered easily by McKay in the City goal.

Then Matty Cooper put in a cross which Gunny met with a header, but his attempt was just over. The other City got their 1st corner after 15 minutes, but it didn’t come to anything. But 2 minutes later, the City took the lead through Craig Gunn. He exchanged passes with his front partner Chris McLeish whose final pass put Gunny in on the keeper. He made it look very easy as he passed the ball beyond the keeper and into the net.

Craig Beattie, ¬†was next to have a go when he let fly from 60, yes 60 yards. I don’t think his shot reached our goal.

City went 2 up, 4 minutes later when Archie MacPhee put the n a low shot on goal. The other City keeper could only parry the ball clear, but Shane was alert and slid the rebound high into the other City net. And another 4 minutes later and Shane got himself a double when he picked up a cutback from Chris McLeish, sidestepped his defender and drove the ball low past the keeper.

The goal avalanche never materialised in the second half, I think, due to a combination of things. One they started to get very physical which broke up the play and resulted in three City players having to be substituted.

Firstly Gunny seemed to be suffering from an injury to his back. Then Brian Cameron was injured by a challenge. His replacement Scott Smith also bore the brunt of a hard challenge and he too had to leave the field being replaced by Chris Dodd.

Gunny had be replaced by Kyle McLeod. These changes seemed to upset the City rhythm although we continued to create chances, all of which were missed or denied by a resolute visiting defence.

Twiggy did have the ball in the net when he volleyed home from an Archie MacPhee free kick, but the effort was disallowed for offside. And so the second half came to an end with no further scoring.

Posted in headline, News.

Leave a Reply