Cowdenbeath 0-1 Elgin City

Chris McLeish celebrating his goal with team-mate Scott Smith smiling in the background.

Report by George Hay

City were on, what I would consider to be usual lines, with a back four of Cooper, Stewart, Nicolson and MacPhee. Midfield was Shane Sutherland, Brian Cameron, Thomas Reilly and Daniel Moore. And up front were Gunny and Chris McLeish.

City were kicking into a breeze in the first half and play was fairly level in first quarter hour. Then Brian played Gunny in with a slide rule pass, but the Cowdenbeath keeper was equal to Gunny’s attempt on goal. Shortly after this Daniel Moore went on a solo run beating three Cowdenbeath players, but dragged his shot wide of goal.

Kieran Stewart went down with a head knock but quickly recovered. Cowdenbeath went close with a shot which was just past the post. Again Cowdenbeath went close following a 1-2 passing movement, but Stewart Black saved well from the attempt on goal.

Then Shane Sutherland picked the ball up in his own half, beat three opponents, but his shot on goal was just too high. It was Shane again a few minutes later, when he took advantage of slackness in the Cowdenbeath defence, but his cross into the box just eluded Chris McLeish.

City’s next attack saw the ball land at Soapy’s feet at the edge of the box, but he dragged his shot wide. City had probably been the better of the two teams in the first half, but had nothing to show for their efforts.

City wasted no time in the second half before going ahead. Shane passed a good ball to Gunny who crossed into the box where Chris McLeish slid in to guide the ball home from close range.

Shortly after a Daniel Moore cross found Gunny in the box and his header rebounded from a post with the keeper beaten.

Cowdenbeath introduced 2 substitutes at this point and came very close to an equaliser. Archie McPhee cleared the ball off the line.

Cowdenbeath were more in the game now, and City were being forced back towards their own goal. Some composure was definitely being call for.

Kyle MacLeod was brought on to replace Gunny as City battled to hang on to their lead. Cowdenbeath brought on their final substitute. City almost got the second goal which would surely have settled the game in their favour when a Soapy shot rebounded to Shane who fired one in on target, but was saved by the keeper.

Scott Smith then came on in place of Chris McLeish. City put on their 3rd and final substitute when Chris Dodds came on for Daniel Moore. Shortly after the referee blew the whistle for full time and signalled an away win for the City.

Posted in headline, News.

Leave a Reply