Report: Elgin City 1-3 St Johnstone

thumbnail of Elgin City FC Logo


Report by George Hay
We started with virtually the same team who finished off last season, the exceptions being Blackie in goal and up front where we had Shane Sutherland in for the departed Dylan Easton. We took almost the whole of the first half to come to terms with St Johnstone and our midfield especially were being hurried into passes that they wouldn’t normally take on.

We managed to get to half time only a goal down, but in all honesty it could have been thee or four, but for some poor finishing and some backs to the wall defending and Blackie pulled off a series of excellent saves. The goal, when it did come was a result of a misplaced pass which was picked up by Danny Swanson who advanced to within 20 yards of the City goal and side footed a low shot past Stewart Black in the City goal. No fault of the City keeper, who may have been unsighted, but he did appear to be expecting a shot to his right and not his left. So at half-time the Saints were up 1-0 and City were still in the game.

There were no substitutions made by City at half-time, but 3 minutes into the half and City equalised. We were awarded a free kick about 25 yards out. Daniel Moore took it and sent in a wicked curling ball which Jamie Duff managed to get his head onto and divert it wide of the diving Zander Clark’s right hand and into the back of the net. GAME ON and it certainly was because for the next 25 minutes or so we were the equal of and at times superior to the Perth Saints.

I don’t know what Gavin said to the lads at half time, but it certainly had an effect. But in 70 mins the Saints went back into the lead following a good passing movement. The ball eventually landed at the feet of Graham Cummins who appeared to come from an offside position to sidestep Blackie and side foot the ball home.

City introduced two of our new signings after 75 mins with Scott Smith and Chris Dodd replacing Kyle MacLeod and Thomas Reilly. Eight minutes later and it was game over for City when the Perth Saints scored a third goal courtesy of a cross into the City box and was chested in at the near post by Steven McLean. City brought on their final substitution when Chris McLeish took over from Shane Sutherland.

Posted in headline, News.

Leave a Reply