Report: Elgin City 0-2 Clyde (play off semi-final second leg)

thumbnail of Elgin City FC Logo

Report by George Hay

City made one change from Tuesday night’s starting line up with Craig Gunn coming in in place of Marc Mackenzie. City won the toss and elected to kick towards the Leisure Centre with a strong breeze at their backs the tactics from Clyde were obvious from very early on – stop Elgin City playing.

City gained their first corner after 15 mins and from it Twiggy had a header which went narrowly past. Then Dylan Easton in attempting to stop a Clyde breakout from their penalty box got himself injured and had to leave the field, his place being taken by Stevie Ross. But this was a blow to City’s expectations with their chief playmaker out of the game.

After half an hour Matty Cooper came close with a shot on goal, but Gibson was equal to it. McLaughlin the Clyde captain was injured when his own keeper clattered into him, but he was able to resume after treatment. Just on half-time City had their best chance of the game. Stevie Ross worked a 1-2 and found himself in a 1 on 1 situation with Gibson. Unfortunately for City, his final shot was smothered by Gibson and the ball flew over the bar. So at half time is was even steven at 0-0.
McLaughlin did not resume after half time, his place being taken by Marvin Andrews. Daniel Moore went on a run down the left, but his cross was slightly overhit and Kyle MacLeod’s header flew past the Clyde goal. But Clyde were slowly but surely suffocating City’s efforts and Mark Hurst was having to be on his toes in the City goal. Jamie Duff was penalised for a foul on Gormley the free kick was taken by Jordan Kirkpatrick and whilst he got the ball up and over the City wall, it didn’t appear to be that close to the post, but it eluded Mark and finished up in our net.

Jim Weir tried to mix it up a bit bringing on Connor McLaren and Marc MacKenzie for Daniel Moore and Craig Gunn. Next to feel the force of the opposition was Kyle MacLeod who had to be carried off the field on a stretcher with his head in a neck brace. It looked extremely serious. Let’s hope it is not.

With City having committed all of their substitutes already, they had to play the last 10-15 minutes with only 10 men and at this point the game died a death. Clyde then decided they had done enough and just played possession football – easy to do when you are 4-1 in the lead and your opposition down to 10 men.

They did score a second goal in the 5th minute of time added on as Scott Linton found the net.

Posted in headline, News.

Leave a Reply