Report: Clyde 3-1Elgin City (play-off semi-final first leg)

Kyle McLeod enjoys scoring Elgins only goal of the game..2

Report by George Hay

City were unchanged from the starting line-ups of the last 2 games.

We looked to be well up for this match, and started the game on the front foot with some good passing movements, although nothing tangible was being created around the Clyde goal.

Clyde were first to threaten when Kirkpatrick sent in a shot which was narrowly wide. But City didn’t heed the warning and a minute later Clyde went ahead. Jamie Duff was adjudged to have fouled John Gemmell just outside the penalty box, and when the kick came in, a header from Gemmell came back off the crossbar, and in spite of having 2 defenders on the goal line, the ball eluded them and Gemmell slammed the ball home from less than 2 yards.

Despite this setback, City continued to pass the ball about, but still with no penetration. And in 41 mins they increased their lead. If the first goal was kind of lucky, there was no luck about their second. A loose ball in midfield was chested down by David Gormley to Scott Linton. He didn’t hesitate, he absolutely blootered the ball into the postage stamp corner of Mark Hurst’s goal. A great goal! But a bad time for City to concede a second goal with only 4 mins left of the the first half. So 2-0 to Clyde at half time.

City needed an early goal in the second half, and it came 4 mins into the half when Marc McKenzie got to the byline and sent over a beauty of a cross which Kyle MacLeod did not need to break stride, and his header beat the Clyde keeper with ease. So, Game on! City came close again 10 mins later,when Daniel Moore’s attempt from a direct free kick went narrowly past.

But Clyde extended their lead 8 mins later, they took a long throw and Mark McLaughlin back-headed it on towards goal. Mark Hurst had initially started to come for the throw-in, but then back tracked and was caught as the ball gently floated over his head and landed in the City net.

At this point, Clyde decided to hang on to their 2 goal cushion, but their means of doing this was somewhat iffy. A double substitution followed with Connor McLaren replacing Marc McKenzie and Gunny replacing Kyle MacLeod and with 5 mins to go Steven Ross replaced Daniel Moore. Gunny had a great chance to reduce the deficit when he was played in to be 1 on 1 with the keeper, but the keeper got down to save. That proved to be City’s last clear cut chance and the game finished 3-1 to Clyde.

Posted in headline, News.

Leave a Reply