Report: Elgin City 2-2 Annan Athletic

Elgin subsitiute Kyle McLeod celebrates scoring Elgins 1st goal.
Report by George Hay
Manager Jim Weir made a surprise selection change prior to this game starting. He left Dylan Easton on the bench and played Daniel Moore in his place. Annan Athletic won the toss prior to kick-off and elected to kick towards the Leisure Centre.
City looked the brighter of the two teams in the early stages of the game and took the game to Annan, but the nearest they got to the Annan keeper was a shot from distance from Steven Ross which was saved by the keeper. Thomas Reilly was next to have a go but his shot was wide.
Connor McLaren then put in a great cross which Gunny nodded down, but there were no takers. Play was then confined to midfield with neither keeper being troubled. Twiggy was next to have a go but his shot went wide of the Annan goal.
Annan should have gone head after 32 mins but Omar’s shot was high over. It looked easier to put his shot on target. Daniel Moore was next to try his luck with a free kick on the edge of the box, but his effort was much too high. And so the first half came to a stuttering finish with the teams locked at 0 – 0.
Annan took the lead 7 minutes into the second half and it was very much against the run of play. After a spell of City pressure, the ball was cleared to Josh Todd who was half way inside the City half. He obviously fancied his chances against Jamie Duff and was proved right as Jamie mistimed his tackle allowing Todd to advance on Mark Hurst and place the ball wide of him.
Dylan Easton then came on for Steven Ross, but worse was to follow for City when Annan went 2 up. The ball ran loose in the City penalty box and substitute Smart Osadolor latched on to it and slotted a low shot past Mark Hurst. City were up against it now, in a game that they knew they needed to take something from.
At this point Kyle Macleod and Marc McKenzie replaced Daniel Moore and Craig Gunn. Then enter Dylan Easton. Firstly he picked the ball up wide on the left wing. He dribbled his way past 2 defenders and got to the by-line. He then got the ball across goal where Kyle MacLeod was waiting to nod it over the line.  Game on!
Ten mins later and Dylan was at it again. Picking up the ball wide on the left he dribbled past 2 defenders and drew a challenge from a third inside the box. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and Brian Cameron stepped up and beat the keeper with a low shot.
Into injury time and Marc McKenzie got into an argument with the far side assistant referee who continued to hold his flag aloft for a minute. The end result was inevitable – Marc was shown a straight red card. Jim Chapman the Annan manager was also ordered to the stand by the referee following a disagreement with the official.  And so the game ended at two each.
Posted in headline, News.

Leave a Reply